Interview with Tina Traverse

What genre do you write and why?

I have trouble with this question usually because I find it hard to narrow down the genre for the stories I write because it varies for each story.  For example, my current work is a vampire story.  My last published work was an erotic suspense thriller while my first published book was a non-fiction work about my experiences with my son's autism diagnosis. If I had to pin down one particular type of genre, I would say that I always wrote drama, but with sprinkling of humour to ease seriousness of the subject.

What is your work in progress? Tell us about it.

My current work in progress is a vampire trilogy called Scarlet Desire. Scarlet Desire started out as a series that already had book one published and available to readers since 2012, with book two and three  already completed with book covers and everything underneath the name Destiny of the Vampire, ready to be published. Late last year, I felt in my heart of hearts that the story and its characters didn't work and I didn't like where their story was going, so I scrapped the works to start fresh. I've grown as an author since then, learning some new things that I'm applying to this new series. The characters are the same but the plot is different and I'm writing in my true voice. I'm finally more comfortable and content by how this novel is progressing.

Scarlet Desire centres around three main characters, twin siblings Declynn and Sebastian Sinclair and Hope Winters. During a fishing trip with their father, they encounter a huge storm that capsizes their boat. Their father drowns but they are sent adrift and wash ashore on a rugged deserted island. For months brother and sister work together to survive on the island, but a confrontation between them ends with their deaths. They 'wake' up from this fight to discover that they were transformed into vampires by the island's secret vampire coven leader. When Declynn breaks one of the leader's rules, she and her brother are exiled. They manage to escape by stowing away on a boat which brings them to England. It's here that the Sinclairs struggle to blend into their new home and meet the sister of a cherished friend they met on the island. As they become better acquainted, Declynn and Sebastian discover that there is more to their new companion than meets the eye.

Who is you favorite character in your book and why?

My favourite character in this WIP has to be Declynn Sinclair. She is a bold, unapologetic, carefree party girl who is into one night stands. Declynn is a lesbian and is damn proud of it, often showing her affections in public.  She is a extrovert in every sense of the word, flamboyant and blunt but she has a hidden soft side. Declynn often quarrels with her brother, Sebastian, teasing and insulting  him, but she is fiercely protective and has a deep desire to become a mother. Her intellect, skill and charm has made her a force to be reckoned with in and out of the boardroom. I enjoy her because Declynn is not afraid of what people think of her and I wish I could be more like that.
  
Did you learn anything from writing your book that was unexpected?

Though Scarlet Desire is currently in first draft, I'm already learning many things from writing it. This book is teaching me to slow down and really pay attention to every detail of each scene, making sure it works and makes sense. In the past, I was content with the story in my head and now I'm finding that I'm questioning some of the scenes, the characters and plot and thinking of better ways to improve upon it.

What marketing methods are you using to promote your book? 

I use social networking as my main means of marketing my books through such sites as Facebook  Twitter and Goodreads. I have my a blog that features my work as well the work of other authors. I also do word of mouth locally as the opportunities for book fairs, book signings and other events aren't available where I live. Even if they were available, I wouldn't be able to partake due to transportation and child care issues.
Who are your favourite authors?
I have many authors I enjoy, but I have to say that my favourite authors are, Stephen King, Lauren Kate, Dan Brown, L.J. Smith and any author of the suspense, thriller, paranormal/vampire genres. I'm also a huge fan of indie authors.
What books or authors have most influenced your life?
Out of the list above, I have to say the one author that has influenced my life is Stephen King. Stephen King influenced me not so much for the books he wrote, but more for his life story. I remember not long after giving birth to my eldest son, I fell into a deep depression where I gave up everything I loved, including writing. After seeing a documentary on his life, seeing the struggles that he went through in his early years as a writer, it inspired me to return to my first love. Stephen King suffered through a lot of hardships and rejections and went on to be a very successful and well loved author. Maybe someday I could do the same. He showed me there was still hope.
Tina Traverse
What's the best thing about being a writer?
I always had all these stories and dialogue dancing around in my head with no outlet. Writing is the outlet that lets those crazy people running around in my head a chance to tell their story. That's one thing. Another thing that is the best is that I was blessed with the privilege to create worlds people can escape to and get lost in, characters they can relate to and cheer and jeer and a story that can evoke real emotion in the reader. Nothing inspires me to keep me writing more than to hear from a reader that said that my story made them experience a wide range of emotions and that the story will stay with them for a long time to come. That's what makes all this worth it. 
Does your family support you in your writing career? How?
Yes, my family supports my writing career tremendously. My husband supports me by taking over the parental duties so I can take some quiet time to write. My parents also have been a huge support from the very beginning when having my work published was nothing more than a dream. They are wonderful, they spread the word about my novels. I know my family are very proud of me and I will never be able to thank them enough.
Where can people find out more about you and your writing?
People are welcome to pop by my blog, Writers on the Wharf http://writersonthewharf.wordpress.com/ all are welcome.
blogsignatureWA

0 Comments

I love to hear from you. So feel free to comment, but keep in mind the basics of blog etiquette — no spam, no profanity, no slander, etc.

Thanks for being an active part of the Writers and Authors community.