Interview with Jeremy Hayes

When did you know you wanted to be a writer?


I started to write and draw my own comic books when I was about nine years old. Sometimes I would bring them to school so my friends could read them and write comments at the back (which I still have today). I just loved to create interesting characters and write stories about them. As a teen I worked with a close friend to create comics, he would draw them and I would write them. We made a good team but sadly he passed away of cancer at a young age. I still thought about stories and characters in my head but it wasn’t until I was in my thirties, that I wrote my first novel. Had so much fun doing it that I turned it into a trilogy. My second book is out and now I am working on my third, with many more planned after that.


What genre do you write and why?


I write fantasy books. It is what interests me the most. I love watching sci-fi movies but my brain does not create sci-fi characters or stories, just fantasy-themed ones. And they come to me quite easily. My first novel took me three months to write and my second took six months. I never seem to struggle with ideas, everything just flows. I first got hooked with fantasy when I read a choose-your-own-adventure type book as a kid, called “Deathtrap Dungeon” by Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson. Just loved it.


Tell us about your latest book.


My latest book, The Demon of Stonewood, is the second book in my Stonewood Trilogy, the sequel to The Thieves of Stonewood. It picks up six months after the first book and the Thieves Guild is embroiled in a street war with a cult of demon-worshippers, attempting to rid the city of them once and for all. The cult draws closer to their goal of summoning the demon they worship back into the world. My main character, is a likable thief, by the name of Harcourt. He does make mistakes and poor choices from time to time but generally tries to do the right thing. Harcourt returns with many characters from the first book, along with a cast of new ones. I am also very proud of the covers for each of my books. They feature artwork from my friend, Mike Kotsopoulos, who passed away. It is my tribute to him and a way to share his art with the rest of the world.


What marketing methods are you using to promote your book? 


I try to mention it in as many online groups and forums that allow promotion. I am also on Goodreads and right now I am doing a giveaway with my latest book. I have seven free copies to give away to those interested.


What formats is the book available in?


My books are available in paperback and as an ebook for Kobo and Kindle. The Kindle version for my latest book will be available very soon.


What do you like to do when you're not writing?


When I am not writing, I do a lot of reading. I still read comic books and of course other fantasy novels, especially the ones set in the Forgotten Realms world. I am also a boxing fanatic and watch my share of fights too.


Jeremy Hayes
Who are your favourite authors?


As with most people into fantasy, I have to say that J.R.R. Tolkien ranks right up there. The Lord of the Rings in my opinion is the greatest fantasy story ever told. I also love Robert E. Howard, who created Conan the Barbarian and Solomon Kane. For authors that are still living, I really enjoy R.A. Salvatore’s work. I have been following his dark elf series for over twenty years now. And lastly, I credit Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson, who’s Fighting Fantasy series really got me started.


What advice do you have for other writers?


I know it’s said all the time, but, never give up. Write for yourself first and don’t worry about what anyone else thinks. Oh, and always keep a pen and paper handy wherever you go, you don’t want to forget those great ideas you think of when you are out and about.


What's your favourite quote about writing/for writers?

My favourite is, “A professional writer is an amateur that didn’t quit.” – Richard Bach


What's the best thing about being a writer?


I enjoy visiting other worlds and spending time there. You get to create the worlds and the people to your liking, then allow your readers to join you there and partake in the adventure.


Where can people find out more about you and your writing?


You can always find about my books and the latest news at www.northlordpublishing.com, and you can like us on facebook, just search for Northlord Publishing.


Anything else you'd like to add?


I would like to thank you, Jo, for this opportunity, and for the work you have done in trying to help other authors find ways to promote themselves, through your site and with the help of your latest book.

blogsignatureWA

1 Comments

I love to hear from you. So feel free to comment, but keep in mind the basics of blog etiquette — no spam, no profanity, no slander, etc.

Thanks for being an active part of the Writers and Authors community.